The tour starts in the entrance hall dominated by a monumental staircase guarded by a pair of lions. Its dominant feature is the sculptural group of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, patron saints of the nation as well as of Europe. The author of this plaster model is sculptor Emanuel Max from Prague. Decoration of the entrance hall as well as the sgraffito decoration in the residence corridors is by painter Jano Köhler.
In this “communication space”, visitors often meet significant guests of the palace passing by or Archbishop Jan Graubner (auxiliary bishop of Olomouc since 1990, archbishop in office since 1992), his auxiliary bishops, employees of the diocesan curia and religious sisters who live and work here.
FIRST FLOOR CORRIDOR
Köhler’s fresco decoration in this part of the building stresses the importance of the towns of Kroměříž and Mikulov as secondary residences of archbishops. Besides portraits of the imperial family, the Olomouc dean Leopold von Podstatzky-Prusinowitz is depicted here – a man who housed the famous composer, then eleven-year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, in his deanery on the Wenceslas Square.
The library, furnished in 1939 on the 50th anniversary of the priestly ordination of Archbishop Leopold Prečan, consists of 3–5 thousand volumes.
The largest hall of the residence, richly decorated by stucco by Josef Hladík and the allegory of four seasons, was the scene for visits of President T. G. Masaryk or Pope St. John Paul II. Dominating the hall is a portrait of the Archbishop of Olomouc and Cardinal Rudolph Johann Habsburg, who was – among other things – a pupil and patron of the famous composer Ludwig van Beethoven. Receptions, conferences, trainings, graduations, awarding of honorary doctorates and of the Olomouc City Awards, concerts and events of spiritual nature take place here.
The hall became famous in history as the place of enthronement and a several-month-long “Olomouc” reign of the Austrian Emperor Franz Josef I.
Another of the smaller chambers testifies the collecting activities of archbishops, especially of the art-loving Leopold Prečan. In addition to Meissen porcelain, Haban pottery and majolica, painted porcelain and special colored glass of fantastic animals can be seen here.
A small space for private prayers, reopened during the unveiling of the original brocade wallpapers after 1980.
The hall, designed for Empress Maria Theresa, later became the site of a strategic meeting between the Russian Tsar Alexander and the Austrian Emperor Francis II before the “Battle of the Three Emperors” at Austerlitz in 1805.
This smaller intimate room commemorates the peace settlement between Prussia, Russia and Austria (the so-called “Punctation of Olmütz” in 1850) and the visits of Presidents Edvard Beneš (in connection with the restoration of the Palacký University after World War II) and Václav Havel (the university awarded him an honorary doctorate).
It is a small study with a Rococo ceiling and a stove in the shape of a cornucopia.
The space rebuilt into an exhibition room where short-term exhibitions are installed.